Stereotactic Needle Biopsy Tissue-Equivalent Training Phantom
With the increasing use of stereotactic breast biopsy procedures, it is essential that radiology healthcare providers maintain and increase their needle biopsy skills. This versatile tissue-equivalent phantom is a MUST for every mammography facility. It was designed to assist in training technologists and physicians in the use of a stereotactic system, and for verifying the proper operation of mammographic stereotactic biopsy systems.
Because the phantom closely mimics properties of the human breast, it is also an ideal teaching tool and practice medium for mammographic needle biopsy procedures. It should also be used whenever a new system is installed or repaired, to ensure accurate needle placement. This training phantom is also an excellent research and development/demonstration tool for manufacturers of mammography equipment.
The automated stereotactic breast biopsy procedure depends on several variables for accurate needle placement. Thus, for patient safety, this system must be properly maintained and evaluated.
The phantom should be stored in a cool place. The phantom should be discarded after all the tumors have been aspirated.
- The ideal teaching tool and training phantom for practicing mammographic stereotactic needle biopsy
- Compressible-Anthropomorphic shape allows for accurate simulation of breast compression
- Contains cysts, dense masses and calcifications
- Proprietary gel simulates physical density and mass attenuation of BR-12
- Gel will not dry out after initial needle punctures, thus extending storage life
- Physical consistency similar to human tissue, combined with an elastic, skin-like membrane, enables palpation of embedded structures and accurately simulates needle resistance
- Anthropomorphic shape allows for accurate simulation of breast compression
- Can also be used for system QC (Quality Control)